Saturday, November 26, 2011

Timeless Truths

A few people have asked me why I haven't written about Penn State. They figured this topic was perfect for FreeTime.

I haven't written about Penn State because I have nothing original to say. In fact, I never have anything original to say about crimes of the moment. Natalee Holloway, Caylee Anthony, even O.J. Stories like these have played out millions of times in human history, and all the human foibles on display have been demonstrated by novelists, poets, playwrights, philosophers, theologians and (believe it or not) politicians for thousands of years. I can add nothing to them that hasn't already been said by Shakespeare or Plato or Jefferson.

So rather than add my two cents, I'll merely quote one of the greatest political philosophers, Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."


No comments: