Wednesday, May 27, 2009

This Will Kill You


Some friends of mine have a new book out – and what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t shamelessly plug it?

Harvey Newquist (or as he’s known in print, HP) and Rich Maloof have just published This Will Kill You: A Guide to the Ways in Which We Go (MacMillan). Jim Shinnick, designer extraordinaire illustrated the book. I can’t improve upon the promotional copy:


No other book has ever peaked under the Grim Reaper's robe in such a straightforward and irreverent way. With a foreword by a physician at the Mayo Clinic , an afterword by a funeral director, lists of history’s most notable deaths, and a unique death rating system, everything you need to know about the ways in which we go are included in these pages.

I don’t know Mr. Maloof but can vouch for the wit and creativity of the other two. HP has published books on such diverse topics as space, the internet, guitar gods, and neurology. Jim is the finest designer I’ve worked with in twenty years of publishing (if you need good design work, check out his work here).

I suggested to them that they promote the book via an elaborate literary hoax – specifically, that they should fake their own deaths in ways featured in the book. But they don’t seem to be going for it.

Anyway, click here and get yourself a copy.
Update: I just bought my copy at Borders on Park and 57th and it was prominently featured in the 'Recent Releases' table as soon as you walk in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Much appreciate your plug, Keatang. I did in fact fake my own death - an elaborate affair involving egg whites, a dead squirrel, and a shoehorn - but it turned out no one cared. Resurrected myself in time to do proper promotion and catch 30 Rock that night.

Thanks for walking into a bookstore at all. And, regards to my hometown of Rockland County.

--Rich Maloof